Her Blade Flowered Me
Her Blade Flowered Me
1
I am a figure, a man,
a shadow against the fens,
not a figure of race,
but a nightmare standing
against the background,
lit by a street lamp,
poised as if to run.
The knife inside me has turned.
Some Angel finally loosened Her grip.
Her arm tired,
or Her hand twitched,
and the blade flowered me.
The hilt nudged my spleen,
and I cried out in happiness.
Come into me, Angel.
Come into me and dull this pain
with Your sweet breath
that cools as it burns.
Make those small holes
into tearing voids
that blind me to the precious drops
spilling out my nostrils,
spilling out my throat.
Magnified, the fly’s eyes,
green then translucent blue,
then misty, turning back and forth
with the head of course, no sockets
in which to rotate,
swivel around the dock,
behind a cart,
then over boats
moored to the sand. Really in Jaffa,
Jonah embarked,
the fly watching him,
seeing it all.
Darling Angel hold me
while I drop to Earth.
Cover me with Your delicate
white wings and shield me
from the Holy Ghost
Who is jealous
of Your embrace.
Don’t let Him steal my spirit.
Don’t let Him take me
away from You.
The way I look at Him
is the way Powhatan watched
Smith emerge from the water,
his blunderbuss streaming.
Bodies must be bathed
before burial,
and our mothers
rub scalps with olive
oil to loosen
any dirt,
earth over pure
linen shrouding us.
O, Angel, I love You.
Your flight has trembled the leaves,
but don’t worry.
I can die without You.
I can slumber outside Your arms.
2
Wir, ach, der Ast sind und das Eisen
und das Süße reifender Gefahr.
And what should someone expect
from You
after they’re born?
You, wild, ineffable, secretive, two-horned
and two-shaped or ivy-covered
or bull-faced, warlike, howling,
pure…
Leave the Bible open
with the head of it turned
to the East for three days,
and your brutal brother
can take my raw
flesh, have feasts, wrap me
in foliage decked
with grape clusters.
You murderers on trial must smile
lest You be thought…
Use the dark green portions of leeks
in my broth, You givers
of unmixed wine,
You killers of goats.
Lofty pines sway over white
plastic picnic tables.
Boys and girls play with sticks
and balls, off, putting the bounds,
all short, all long yet brief,
in the chairs or along the lawn.
Love, green in the weeds,
better than gray in the alley.
You of the trees, of the black goatskin,
were these petals always here,
beneath me?
You may pour wine on me
as well.
As I hold Your hands
it’s love.
When I hold my hands
it’s prayer.
I feel my fingers slip
through my fingers
when I let go.
I want to hold my hands up,
up to offer something
because my fingers slip
through each other and flesh
feels
so much like flesh that I want
to offer something up,
up because flesh could slip
forever.
So my hands hold each other
again,
hard
because I’m afraid,
and I love Your hands.
[assemblage]
Comments
Post a Comment
Empathy recommended