Singing

Fires So High

Fireflies in the maple trees
and the bamboo and the myrtle
     blink. Seen even in our dark
living room where they float round
          the ceiling as sparks, here,
     there against the cowling,
circling the hearth, flying out
     to the roof, then up higher
          into the hickory like embers
     from flints, like the LEDs
above our heads. They crackle
          into dusk like plane
     indicators or lit swamp gas,
fires so high.


Brunch

She photographs Cupid as he
sits on the curb. His garments
of velvet dyed violet are sewn
with golden thread. His bow
stands as tall as her.
                                      His lone
arrow quivered, he samples
a plate of linguini and sausage.
He's marked the curb with hobo
sign for Good Meals Here: 'Ambrosia.
     Lady seems kind.' —Venus.

Yet he says his name is Rodrigo,
says he was born in Terminal
E at Logan, says he'd like dessert,
now, 'Almond liqueur stewed pears.'


Those Old-Fashioned Lovers

Were seeking their ancient loves
without knowing when or where,
whether that love was inside them,
was hidden in some wood, some stream.
Then as they gazed, it rose behind them.
The water mirrors our thirst,
can force us to rip ourselves apart,
or sacrifice some nameless bore.
See when Theban women burn
incense in Bacchus' shrine,
Cupid doesn't need his spindles.
He strokes our keen ears.
Venus doesn't need a lute.
She pulls at our hearts' threads.


Communion of Saints

I see god Brahma on his throne of lotus,
and all the seers and serpents of light.
Kneeling seems hard, and our shoulders
pulsate. Won't our Lord persuade his
priest to read faster? Now he sings,
comes to the part where the host surges,
where blood makes a brief appearance,
     and all of us remain bowed till
     a wafer crosses the borders
of our selves. Behind him, the altar
transforms, too, to a kitchen table,
     and our parents gather round,
     mimicking us then showering
us with rice and water and salt.


Trees
 
Towers hold bells that shield clappers.
Trees mock towers.
                                    As a boy I climbed
     trees. I even drew my dog up to
     my treehouse. He sat in a bucket
I’d connected to a rope. He was
docile, fearless, yet I didn’t do this
more than once because I can’t be sure
     he enjoyed it much less lacked fear.
Our dominance doesn’t ensure joy
in those we control nor can we expect
their trepidation to cool cause we
     love them: unübererredete.
What we scale sometimes becomes our
     métier, our zeal to conquer heaven.


An Owl

An owl makes its
     nest in a hole
inside a rotten tree
     near a deep brook
where small trout
     feed on midges
when they're there.
     An owl can corral
trout when an eddy
forms even when ice
covers water and shore.
     An owl seems huge
though weighs almost
     nothing unlike trout.


Mein Herz 

As columns that underpin my heart,
     my arteries flow and connect
     my lungs, material of atmosphere.
     Internal contrasts with external.
Lamps atop columns are spaced yards
     apart along the city's arteries
     where cars with hearts and lungs
speed past each other like creatures long
ago when there weren't cars or lights
at night, and people huddled in homes
     afraid of that night, afraid of others'
beating hearts, whose desires quickened
     or extinguished others' breath.
     Eternals contrast with internal.


Vera 

     "My darling plays for no one
but himself" —staunch flow over interiors,
      reverberate like rain on a roof—
"then splits our hearts with mourning."

No grave can hobble her because "Now
     I shall dance!" Perhaps not to his
     songs nor to his headless rhythm
nor to his fingers tapping on that desk
where he's composed regiments of sound
that would've seduced Thracian women
who then cast him hence to those carp
     kissing Hebrus' pebbles, carp who'll
     nibble whatever flesh fish can find
     as he flows onto Lesbos' shores.


Singing

Only with the rhythm of salmon
          slapping at waterfalls
     at noonday can our voices,
alert like some drum major's,
do what the marigold wants:
     to teach us about sad crows'
     songs: 'Shift beak to groom
     only white mites without
an arm or two.' Who can believe
that amongst flung plumes, dots
     of purple like blood on staves
can sprinkle like claret on sand?
Your superstars aren't giants
          jamming for their savings.


Stone

     Stuck in the cave, philosophers'
only freedom came from mushrooms'
magic making shadows on the wall
     into glamours, illusions hiding
     from apprentices as myriad
automatic brooms or Hermès scarves.

Think the philosophers stone came
from that cave? Reddish like the clay
               god breathed into to
          make Adam? Yet terracotta
can't change to gold or grant eternity.
     For every alchemist who belongs
to dawn then dusk, another lies inside
          the temporal, still outside heaven.


Zither 

Is it true that you saw Eurydice
among them?     —Adonis

His tub of water frozen, his dressing
room mirror cracked, abandoned by him,
     are his notes now mist or is he fog? 
Have we tagged his melody? Have we
sunken his star in cement? Have we
torn his face and plastered it on posters?
     Affixed it on jelly jars? Sharpened
          his teeth then made masks of him
     for children to wear on Halloween?
          Didn't he sell enough notes for us?
Our ears, drawn down by gold bangles,
ceased to listen. Weren't there boats
          against these banks that bent to
     salvage him, to restring his zither?


Untuned 

Beasts gone wild who take gardens
for pasture…     —Ibn Faraj

          Rivers border this city composed
     of flatted thirds like minor voices
spread along the horizon. Can't sun
shade as well as lightening? Until our toes
sift through the desert, beasts will ferry us
to new springs where fronds seem dazed
by our tone. Unless sound disappears
     with moonrise like flowers folding
     at sunset? Between the first interval
     and the last, in a city with no balconies,
no homes with guitars, no guts for strings,
even our days lack harmony with night.

No charts for these violins with no bows.
Why hasn't our path transposed this music?


Sinner 

Sunosun who asks for no recompense,
blind me to my faults. Don't reveal me
as I am. Don't light my need for gold,
for duck to savor, for claret to comfort
me in my guilt. I deny those I have
injured, hope they will never find me.
Hence I remain in the black, secluded,
avoid human contact. Only my
brother and sister in limbo listen
to my queries, to my prayers at matins,
and they hover like hummingbirds
around a font of honey. Have I lured
them? Unlike David? Birds flew to him,
sang with him morning and evening.


David Fights the Philistines 

     That night, David slumped to the royal
pavilion, parched though he drank water, 
unable to quench his need for the Spring
                    captured by his enemy.
     His guards chafed at David's need:
          They carry a pitcher, scale enemies'
walls, dodge a sentry, traverse the camp. 
His guards discover this Spring, draw
from it, and bring the full pitcher to David
          David, though feverish, reckoned
                         that that water
     was alike to blood, danger to his Soul. 
David surmounted his suffering, scorned
his thirst, made the water a libation to God. 


Spells 
               for Yul Brynner

"As it is written, so shall it be" will
     breathe miracles on the fly?
     Et cetera, et cetera can't sacrifice
peace to appease god. How can blood
shield one from world courts or opinion?
Whatever Moses did or Daniel thought
with his dazzling mind, both trembled
     before god yet believed unbelievers
might kill them. But dreams, spells spoke
     of heaven's powers to protect them
or at least guide their escape from death?
     Earth magic versus blood magic differs
little for god who formed Adam from clots
     of blood, breathed, "Become a people."


The Sound of Jazz 

"You couldn't yet read or write," the angel 
     says. "So I fastened a hoop of gold 
around your neck to record your prayers." 

Someone else tells Lady's story, steals 
her voice, her phrases, listens to applause, 
beckons her 'family' to come near 
for awards. 
                       The feed breaks into four, 
five, then seven screens all broadcasting 
her image —Smile for them, sing as though 
     their hearts lie around you like river 
rocks you could stumble over, throbbing. 
     Lester's riffs really hit, then Hentoff, 
in the control room, hears— "Love will make 
     you do things that you know is wrong."


Clear Lake

A search for a word like crocus
     Can seem like something
          I rehearse as I
Stop searching for the most
Correct word, emptiness
Overtakes the space for search,
Somewhat —unlike drowsiness 
When sequences of thought can
Imagine a skit, a film, an aire
Here my senses work —unlike how
     A clear lake can be momentary,
In meditation, this lake spreads, 
And I stall onto the lake,
          And I fall into the clear lake.


Penance 

When remembering where I sit,
My mind gives footage I've seen
Before, and when I try to feel
More deeply into these scenes,
I can't tell whether it's a TV
Show or a window into a room,
Then I sense a shutter clacking.
Sores rise where my body starts 
Aching at the points where I sit.
I gasp because I carry voids
As penance inside me, breathe
So my breath fills me but doesn't.

Yet wisps curl into the voids, hide
The gloom that underlies it all.


West Palm 

West of Miami —alligator alley —Naples,
then north of there, Fort Myers —Deion
     Sanders' crib. East of Fort Myers
     lies West Palm. In between Miami
     and West Palm grows Hollywood.
     All have palms —but no chirality.
So no East Palm in Estero, or in Naples
     below? No army, navy, or air base
surrounds Fort Myers? Just as no sound
stages collect in Hollywood, no volcano
     threatens Naples? None of these have
you, Calusa. Gone —East, West, North, 
     and South of you, gone —none of you,
though seashells and shaking palms stay.


Pollex

When the dye hits
cells distort then firm
to an image stilled
on your slide.
Now what happens
billions of times
weekly? The cells drop
away as fragments 
of apoptotic bodies
dispelled by urges
within or without
that call caspases
who lack remorse:
Thumb opposed.


Harney

Were we talking about Isherwood
or Auden or Spender whom I met
in '74 and asked to sign my journal 
which I no longer have though Fern
painted a faire glade on its cover
all blues with purple blooms floating 
against green background but no
figures from life anywhere on it.

Good breeding I suspected you had,
and Cathy took to you immediately 
as a friend for you had no inclinations 
except maybe a violent streak when you
confronted Replogle on that York River
beach where we all got smoked —ptah.


Replogle 

Maybe you argued about Auden of whom
you knew or knew him? But he'd just died.
So maybe you clobbered one of us. I can't
remember. How you became Lennon's
publicist you explained once later, and I
also can't remember that, but. You were so
handsome unlike the rest of us —hicks
to the core —yet thinking maybe we could
connect with those rich and famous poets
like Levine or Levertov —unknowing, yes,
that we already had among us future
knights of the keyboard like Baroody
and Bram and Stover and Perrow, et al—
Je te remercie —you, in my mind's eye.


Gravy Dream

          Dream you must from birth
          and before. For if you believe
you reincarnate you may dream
          into an octopus whose arms
have suckers that taste, or dream into
          an herring, or into an elephant
whose forehead can press your chest
till it's lights out all over your world.

Then into mallard or mucus or mamba
that sees a finger as something to seize
till you wheeze a new world for to see
then breathe into respironics that seem
     to fail everyone. So thank you for all
     that, for all that's grave in this world.


Bones

     When I washed dishes
at Ling King Inn, I learned
to dice onions, bone chicken,
fold wonton, roast red pork,
steam rice, boil then stir fry
     ramen, sprout mung
beans, mince shrimp balls,
     buy Hennessy and Lucky
Strikes for James Chan, wipe
     water spots off flatware
by using hot tea, and slice
carrots diagonally for sweet
and sour sauce. After I die,
only my bones will remember.


Swill

     When I washed dishes
     at Dutch Pantry, George
and Minnie Pearl taught me
to broil steaks, prep salad mix,
fry apple fritters, French fries,
and shrimp, clean the deep fat
fryer, eat jalapenos from the jar,
mop the dining rooms, scrub
     toilets and sinks, wash pots,
brick the griddle, arrange the hot
     table, sort silverware, wipe
walk-in down, and empty trash.

Mr. Bodo had me reserve guests'
leftovers for the sheriff's hogs.


Window

     When I washed dishes
at Lorenzo's Pizza, I also helped
set up the grand opening.
Larry taught me that you need
a huge window between dining
room and kitchen if "You're gonna
     throw pizzas for your public!"

He made his money as a steel
worker in Youngstown then built
pizza places in Miami, Lauderdale,
Orlando, and Titusville. He showed
me his Grossmutti's pizza sauce
recipe and how to use a Hobart
     mixer to make pizza dough.




Comments

Popular Posts