The Whale Road

Beorg's Vision 

"Beneath this pool are three 
     who set the path for me 
and weave the garments we
must wear —my fate, laime
     remains a mystery."
Sila unties knots,
     in dark rooms
where a boy grabs,
          parts fur.
Night follows night,
until soot marks
     brother's brow.
Sige chases her above
     clouds,
          moon's lakes.
     She sprints free.
In the hall of Hel, souls are tickled
By augury above, by living ones
Who seek absent friends and lovers,
Even how their fortunes fare, or how
The slain might be tempted to return
As something —save this goat, gutted.


Beorg

     Sige, Sige sits at my hall.
Sige's sitting at my hall,
Thinks his man's home.
     Man snuck out the back.
He snuck out the back, yes,
Now waiting for Sige to leave.
     Sige's man looks past trees.
He's peering through the trees,
Just waiting for Sige to leave.
     How we pass our time, yes.
Sige, Sige, we're past our time,
Day after night, night after day.

     Sige's man sits at my hall.
His man's sitting at my hall,
Thinks I'm home, but I'm not.
     Thinks I'm home, but I'm not.
I snuck out the back as I do, yes,
Waiting for Sige's man to leave,
     Just waiting for his man to leave.
Sige's man sits at my hall,
I'm past waiting for him to leave.
     How we pass our time, yes.
Sige, Sige, we're past our time,
Day after night, night after day.


Murmuring
The jarl wants tribute. We could say, 'no,' but then he would come and take it. And kill us all. Yes? You, Hild, you may say, 'We steal or we die.' I, Sige, will not take from the neighbors, yes? I hear murmuring from the breech, ha ha: 'Sige is afraid of our jarl and our neighbors.' Sige fears only the whales, ha ha. So, we go with the whales to a far place, again. This time will be the third time, yes? You, Beorg, elder, you may ask, 'What if the jarl attacks us here while Sige and his men are following the whales?' Thank you, Beorg. Then you fight or die, ha ha ha. Third time, remember. I will be quick. I will be back. I will be back. I will be back. I will be back, ha ha. I will be back!


Thralls

1
Forest Mother has
risen from the stream.
     Still water bears
her up, and she blesses
          us, calls us:
we drift into her
     and awaken
under her limbs,
her leaves, her berries:
when Sige embarks,
our flies will watch him 
     —we who see all.

2
Under moonglow,
     we killers of goats,
we, wild, ineffable, secretive,
as if two-horned
     or two-shaped
          or ivy-covered
               or bull-faced, 
warlike, howling, pure.

3
          We stir and stir:
"Use the dark green parts of leeks
     in that broth," Hild demands.

4
We givers
     of mead, unmixed:
          Sige calls us, "You of the trees,
of the black goatskin,
you may pour mead on me as well!"

5
          We hear
Sige ask Hild, "Were these white
     petals always here,
          beneath me?"

6
With us, but magnified, 
          the fly’s eyes,
green then translucent blue,
then misty, glance around the dock:
     fly behind a cart,
          then over Sige's boat
moored to the rubble,
off shingle.

7
     Three ash trees scour
the sun: being born,
moon waves,
     tidal washing,
          then seaweed,
               gulls, haze: 
our flies watch us,
          see all:
     Sige embarks.


Hild

Now that Sige is gone
with loosened lapwork
and cracked step,
come into me, Jesus.

Come into me and dull this pain
with Your sweet breath
that cools as it burns.

Darling Jesus hold me
while You drop to Earth.
Cover me with Your delicate
white thighs and shield me
from my Sige
     who is jealous
          of Your embrace.

Don’t let Sige steal my spirit.
     Don’t let Sige take me
     away from You.

Come into me and dull this pain.
Make those small holes
into tearing voids
that blind me to the precious drops
     spilling out my nostrils,
     spilling down my throat.

O, Jesus, I love You.
Your flight has trembled the leaves,
     but don’t worry.
I can't die without You.

I can slumber inside Your arms,
now that Sige is gone
     with loosened lapwork
          and cracked step.


Elegy

Chest gets sore then lung
          flops out sliding
on the floor like whales
     blubbering redness
over this slate darkened
     anew by our mess
of monks, blood, and ale.

     Don't you do it, Hel!
Don't you stop my heart
     nor make me skrelly
then turn me to jelly!

     Slowly, rather, numb
me, please, more dumb
     than by my own hand.
Though not with con
     traband, you under

     stand! Don't grab me
by the jerkin and shake,
shake, shake! Too many
     sounds to undertake:

"That was no murder."
That was your mother?

"She's not complaining."
She's not complaining.

Don't you do it, Hel!
Don't you stop my heart
     nor make me skrelly
then turn me to jelly!

Lord of bread led to all
     we carry aboard 
then torch his hall
with one who kneads
     tied to his hip.
 
Sige calls to our foes.
Sige calls for my stræl.
Sige calls for my bow.
Sige calls for Hel.

Stand! Don't grab me
     by my sword hand
to shake! Too many
sounds to undertake:

"All is mind, heart, courage!"
The all is brains and hearts.

"All is kwelling, not turnips."
The all is rings and beag.

Sige calls us to stow.
Sige calls us to row.
Sige calls us to row.
Sige calls for Hel:

"Don't you do it, Hel!
Don't you stop my heart
     nor make me skrelly
then turn me to jelly!"

"Sige, the rocks, Sige!"
Sige, the whales, Sige.

"Sige, the rocks, Sige!"
Whales, Sige, whales.

Side to side floating, we
dark and white, cold,
cold.
     Slowly, rather, numb
us, please, more dumb
     than by our hands.

That swell, our barrow,
     and the next, the next,
till we sink to Hel beneath 
     that swell, or the next,
     the next.


Sige's Men

Far from Hel's passion or claim
     upon our pale fields, glittering

lilies spread under twilight. Pour
     down some shadows. Our wings

flex like boughs tempest blown:
     unlike apples thrown to earth.

Down, under our wings spread,
     yet lower still where our gifts

lie within the whale's bosom,
     deep beyond flame or sweat.








Comments

Popular Posts