Nebo

The Void 

The void gleams, a white ruin, 
     worse than drifts intruding 
on one's path, profound, solid. 

One must sit quietly. This void 
     melts if one breathes 
in long pulses, eyes open, still. 

Cultivate warmth deeply within 
     each breath. Study gloom
as a blank riddle, surrender. 


The Dreams

The dreams where I live in other people's 
               homes with two cockatoo
     in the barn: man comes to fix tv:
booth with atm and I forget my pin:
people come home, and man tries to hit
me: they have a baby on the floor:
     I have been watching Returned
          both in French and in English:
領袖 has eliminated any
and all distractions: supposed to be
                    a good thing:
when I see into the past I am a resident
of only towns: uprooted, mobile,
     I die without offspring and end
in churchyard: I encompass graves:
looking back like the Angel of History,
I see wreckage where I imagine 
     others might see heritage and look 
          forward to leaving a legacy:
     to look at youth but not be jealous,
but to love them, to want to join them
          because that is the best of life,
     to desire again the beauty of what
can be learned because nothing is
yet certain because now you know nothing
will be certain: nothing, even not nothing:
for youth: no death: no end: pull
into the NoTeL in Saint Clair
before I run off the road,
drunk, asleep.


Make Man an Image 

This voice like bells bells like flowers petals like soft keys played in some concerto not written for them but somehow just them just this a tiny piece that rings like sunshine like peals of green glass tinkling broken by skin sent through a metal wand to air this voice like bells bells like flowers petals like soft keys played in some concerto not written for them but somehow just them just this a tiny piece that rings like sunshine like peals of green glass tinkling broken by skin sent through a metal wand to air to air 


To Err

Some say God inscribed
nothing for Moses, and He sent
Moses away because men had
molded a golden calf, so Moses
shattered two blank slates
to harrow man. Back on Sinai,
God dubbed Moses a sly leader
who could mold a noble lie
—recalling Joseph’s tact handling
nobles and his relatives, too.
Steadfast against Pharaoh,
Moses only led until Nebo.
 

Nebo

Out of the many heresies I could
master, golden calves or bleeding
     wafers, comes this image:
          Ancients could separate
the physical from the spiritual
     like Socrates' daemon.
          Yet the form of God
could inspire a formless man,
a formless man who mimics God.
He prints Himself out of lumps
or breathes Himself into molded
faces to make rather than create
from scratch, to render an object
from dull matter, like a prancing
     stag.           Instead God said: 
'Let Us make man in Our image.’
     

Caterpillars 

"And who is in greater error 
     than the man who is led 
by his desire without 
guidance from God?" 

Caterpillars in the bush 
near our street's gutter 
haven't transformed. 
They still devour leaves. 
When will they awaken 
to their greater nature,
for not worms but cocoons 
     to encrust twigs: 
will wings replace lust?
Will desires pass away?
Swallowtails flow 
          with the breeze.


Flute 

Do the birds 
     hear 
why the boy 
plays his flute, 
why the crickets 
     call?


The Veils 

"We gave the Book to Moses,
but differences arose about it.
And but for a Word from your
Lord, already decreed, their fate
would have long been sealed." 

There are no words for what lies
          beyond the veils.
The harrowing speaks in every
language. All words dissolve.
God's mercy speaks without words. 
Trials he gives occur without words, 
          burn without words. 


Sit 

     Sit on weeds, 
feel a breeze 
that bends stalks 
     to and fro.
Behind mind,
     still eyes:
     Don't blink.







Comments

Popular Posts