Regress

THIRTY  years  ago   before  Google  maps   etc   I  had  just  moved  to  Pittsburgh   I  felt  out  of  touch  with  my  new  city   but  I  had  a  paper  map   I  was  looking  for  a  job  and  had  an  interview  at  the  TV  station  on  top  of  Fineview  which  is  a  hill   and  I  thought  to  take  a  shortcut  up  Toboggan  Street   I  could  see  on  my  paper  map  that  it  went  up  the  hill   but  the  route  didn't  distinguish  between  Rising  Main  which  were  steps  and  Toboggan  Street  right  next  to  it  IN  my  tiny  Chevy  S-10   I  got  as  far  as  I  could  go  up  this  steep  road  when  it  dead  ended  in  woods   I  went  to  do  a  three-point  turn  to  go  back  down  to  279  —regress  BUT when  I  was  perpendicular  to  the  steep  road   I  thought  for  a  second  I  was  going  to  rollover  FROM  that  moment  on   I  never  took  the  hills  of  Pittsburgh  for  granted   WE  moved  through  the  years  after  WWII  from  mainframe  to  mini-computer  to  personal  computer  to  smartphone   and  in  that  period  user-experience  evolved  from  no-touch  to  re-touched  to  touched  to  touch-me   NOW  with  AI  agents  called  "lobsters"  instead  of  us  doing  the  touching   we're  expected  to  remain  calm  while  the  same  errors  we  touched  up  as  users  are  left  untouched  by  lobsters  IN  the  beginning   military  and  finance  people  worked  with  digital  stuff   and  we  weren't  allowed  to  participate  because  our  bona-fide  human  wizards  were  in  control  of  bits  WITH  mini-computers   we  could  expect  some  contact  with  tellers  and  others  who  could  make  changes  on  their  terminals    WORD  processing  also  got  its  start  with  companies  like  Wang  THEN  PCs  happened   and  IBM  Selectrics  were  replaced  by  print  wheels  and  dot  matrix  USERS  became  responsible  for  their  personal  computer's  errors  HOBBYISTS  who  were  precursors  for  the  PC  revolution  sized  up  the  situation  in  Byte  and  Computer  Shopper   THEN  the  smartphone  erased  the  need  for  printers  or  hobbyists  USERS  could  muff  it   but  the  operating  systems  covered  their  asses  sometimes:  "Are  you  sure  you  don't  want  to  enable  backup  to  the  Cloud?"  NOW  lobsters  want  to  take  away  control  from  users  and  want  to  take  us  to  the  Cloud  —back  to  a  world  like  that  of  mainframes  where  wizards  controlled  our  bits  —regress NOW  when  I  look  at  Google  Maps   I  can  see  the  separate  paths  —Rising  Main  and  Toboggan  Street  —but  I  wonder  if  that  would  have  dissuaded  me  from  that  shortcut  so  long  ago  

Comments

Popular Posts