Last Night

Last Night 

I dreamt I'd lost 
my textbook which was 
a library 
book that since I was 
using it 
in the library I had 
essentially lost it 
in the library. 
So I frantically 
searched 
all the library tables 
where some of my 
class 
were still seated, 
but I don't know 
where my tutor 
had gone, 
and I'm sure s/he'd have 
helped me
look for the book 
(if around) 
but didn't —therefore I 
searched 
all alone like a nut, 
and when I awoke 
my right 
eyelid was swollen 
almost shut 
like a spider bit me 
or something else 
dreamt I was in class 
with Kim Jung Un, 
but I was older than 
him and was some kind 
of a teaching 
assistant or something. 
And I grabbed Kim 
by the shoulders 
(which even in the 
dream I knew 
was a dumb thing 
to do) and yelled, 
"Stop!" in his face, 
then I looked 
around the room, 
gestured as though 
my forthcoming pronoun-
cement would encompass 
him and all his Korean 
classmates, and said, 
"The world has changed— 
you can be anything you 
want to be in life just as I,
just like me when I 
was growing up." Snapped 
awake, thought, wow, my 
dream just revived me: 
I dreamt I'd lost my
belief in the American 
Dream— such a dope!





[narrative]



Last Night 

I dreamt I'd lost 
my textbook which was 
a library 

book that since I was 
using it 
in the library I had 

essentially lost it 
in the library, 
so I frantically 

searched 
all the library tables 
where some of my 

class 
were still seated, 
but I don't know 

where my tutor 
had gone, 
and I'm sure s/he'd have 

helped me
look for the book 
(if around) 

but didn't —therefore I 
searched 
all alone like a nut, 

and when I awoke 
my right 
eyelid was swollen 

almost shut 
like a spider bit me 
or something else… 

dreamt I was in class 
with Kim Jung Un, 
but I was older than 

him and I, some kind 
of a teaching 
assistant or something, 

and I grabbed Kim 
by the shoulders 
(which even in the 

dream I knew 
was a dumb thing 
to do) and yelled, 

"Stop!" in his face, 
then looked 
around the room, 

gestured as though 
my forthcoming pronoun-
cement would encompass 

him and all his Korean 
classmates, and I said, 
"The world has changed,— 

you can be anything you 
want to be in life just as I,
just like me when I 

was growing up," snapped 
awake, thought, wow, my 
dream just revived me 

I dreamt I'd lost my
belief in the America 
dream— such a dope!




[first version]






Comments

Popular Posts